- 4 years
What does an electrical planning engineer do?
Electrical planning engineers work in electricity companies, electrical installation companies or electrical engineering offices. These companies are either involved in the field of energy supply or building installation technology.
Energy supply covers the rough distribution of electrical energy, e.g. the construction of power plants, substations, distribution cabinets, cable and power lines, and public lighting.
Electrical planning engineers design and draw up project plans and develop detailed plans for concrete construction. Building installation technology includes the fine-tuned distribution of electrical energy, e.g. of lighting, heating and communication systems to residential and commercial buildings or industrial structures.
Electrical planning engineers plan and draw the building’s power supply down to the last detail and monitor all related work processes to ensure correct execution.
They complete the documentation for the systems and advise builders on how to operate their electrical and technical communication systems safely and economically.
Duration of apprenticeship
- Primarily at the customer’s premises
- On construction projects
- Completion of compulsory education, upper to middle secondary level
- Good performance in mathematics, along with natural sciences and technology
- Manual skills
- Basic understanding of technology
- Standard colour vision
- An abstract-logical way of thinking
- A good approach to dealing with customers
- Additional apprenticeships as an Electrical Planning Engineer, Federal VET Diploma, or a Telematics Engineer, Federal VET Diploma
- Federal Professional and Advanced Federal Professional Examination
- University of Applied Sciences and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Electrical Safety Advisor
- Electrical Project Manager
- Telematics Project Manager (Federal Professional Examination with a Federal Diploma of Higher Education)
- Qualified Electrician
- Qualified Telematics Engineer (Advanced Professional Examination with an Advanced Federal Diploma of Higher Education)
- Qualified Electrical Engineer, PEI
- Electrical Engineer BSc FH or BSc ETH