- 4 years
What does an automation engineer do?
Automation engineers work with other specialists to construct automated systems such as complex traffic management systems and light signal systems. But that’s not all: They also build drive units and control systems for trains and other vehicles, along with ticket machines and many more things equipped with electrical and electronic control systems, actuators and sensors. Their vast array of specialist knowledge extends to technical specialisations such as mechanics, pneumatics, electronics and IT.
They programme and parameterise control systems and assemble and wire electrical, electronic and pneumatic components. Due to the major influence of the English language in this field, they understand many English technical terms. As part of the team, they work on automation projects, and manufacture, test and optimise prototypes. They check assemblies and systems to ensure they are working smoothly. Using the power of deduction and logical thinking, they locate the sources of errors and eliminate them.
The wide variety of tasks they perform also includes the conscientious creation of technical documentation.
Duration of apprenticeship
- In the workshop and at the customer’s premises
- In the office at a computer workstation
- Completion of compulsory education, upper to middle secondary level
- Good performance in mathematics and physics
- Interest in electronics
- Manual skills
- Analytical thinking and abstraction capability
- Basic understanding of technology
- Federal Professional and Advanced Federal Professional Examination (master examination)
- University of Applied Sciences
- Technical Specialist, Service Technician
- Automation Specialist, Process Specialist
- Production Specialist (Federal Professional Examination with a Federal Diploma of Higher Education)
- Qualified Master in Switchgear Construction
- Qualified Industry Master (Advanced Federal Professional Examination with an Advanced Federal Diploma of Higher Education)
- Qualified Technician, PEI, in Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Engineer BSc FH in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Microtechnology